Gordon Howell, P.Eng. (renewable energy, particularly solar)
(round table; please distinguish clearly between discussion items and announcements!)
a. Arrangements for January 22 meeting (see next page)
b. Speakers at future meetings. (Ricardo Acuna, Feb. 12; David Climenhaga, Feb. 26, to be confirmed; Bridget Stirling, TBA)
Committee and Watching Brief Reports:
a. Long term care, (Carol);
b.Water issues (Isobel);
c. Environment, other issues (Cecily);
d. Finances (Tim, Robin);
e. PIA (Carol);
f. Website (Peter);
g. Telephone tree (Edda);
j. FOM (Nic)
a. January 11, 7pm: Westwood Unitarian Church (11135 – 65 Ave.), Social Justice movie night; movie, “Being Caribou”
b. February 4 – 8: International Week, U. of Alberta
c. February 20, 10am: Group visit to the Royal Alberta Museum, organised by SAGE; meet at SAGE; cost, $2.00
d. February 28, evening: Parkland Institute’s Annual Fundraising Gala and Silent Auction; Chateau Lacombe Hotel; Tickets TBA
e. April 4 – 5: PIA’s annual conference, “Our Public Services: Protecting and Revitalizing in Uncertain Times”; Chateau Louis Conference Centre; check for details (as they become available).
Agenda items for next meeting:
a. Guided tours, net zero-energy projects (see next page)
Next meetings: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 1:00 pm; Tuesday February 12
JANUARY 22 GUIDED TOURS
- As a follow-up to his presentation on January 8, Gordon Howell has arranged for a group visit to two “net zero-energy” projects.
- The first project is a private home, 11123 – 75 Ave. (South Side), and the second is the Westmount Presbyterian Church (North Side, 13830 – 109A Ave.). Access the first location by public transit either by bus along 109 Street (City Centre to Southgate route) or by LRT to the McKernan-Belgravia stop.
- We would start at 1:00pm with a tour of the first project, then travel to the second project. We haven’t discussed how long the two tours would take, but a 3:00pm finish can probably be arranged.
- The travel options are: regular public transit; special bus from ETS; car pool. After discussion, it was decided that car pooling would be most convenient if enough SALTies can provide a vehicle. We therefore need to know:
- How many members are interested in attending?
- How many vehicles are available?
- Is there a convenient meeting point and time, for those who would have difficulty getting to the first site?
- Who would need to be picked up, and where?
- Is there any interest in meeting somewhere (e.g., SAGE?, Southgate?) for lunch?