1. Guest Speaker: Michael Phair (child poverty, see EndPovertyEdmonton fACTsheet
In Canada, nearly 1 in 5 children live below the poverty line. This leads to debilitating effects for their personal and physical and mental health, which can cause lasting damage. They are more vulnerable to issues affecting mental health, educational attainment, health and cognitive development, housing, relationships, employment, and food insecurity. Since 2008, the Edmonton Social Planning Council, Public Interest Alberta, and the Alberta College of Social Workers have been releasing child poverty reports, which serve to inform the public on the effects of poverty, current efforts undertaken by governments to address it, and offer recommendations in which they can improve in these programs going forward.
Visit EndPovertyEdmonton website for more info.
2. Announcements: (round table; please distinguish clearly between discussion items and announcements!)
3. Emergent items:
A. “Action” items (as in the “A” in “SALT”)
B. Guest speakers
4. Committee and Watching Brief Reports: a. Long term care, (Carol); b. Environment, other issues (Cecily); c. Finances (Tim, Robin); d. PIA (Carol); e. Website (Peter); f. Telephone tree (Edda); g. FOM (Nic); h. AFUR (Cathy)
A. February 14, 7:00 pm: Westwood Unitarian Church (11135 – 65 Avenue), Social Justice movie night; “Flow: for Love of Water”; admission free, snacks and discussion to follow.
B. February 27, 2020 evening: Parkland Institute’s annual dinner and silent auction; Chateau Lacombe; tickets $125 from Parkland (780-492-8558 or on-line).
C. April 2 – 3, 2020: PIA Annual conference (see https://www.pialberta.org/conferences ; SALTies get membership discount).
6. Agenda items for next meeting:
7. Next meeting: Tuesday, February 25, 2020